Directorate of Archaeology
|An overview of archaeological importance of Bihar.|
|Formation and Activities of the Directorate.|
|Museums owned by the Central Government.|
|Museums owned by the Universities and Semi-Government Organisations.|
|Museums owned by the Non-Government Organisations (Trust, Societies, etc.)|
|Museums owned by Private Individuals.|
|Bihar Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites' Remains and Art Treasures Act, 1976.|
Museums owned by the Universities and Semi-Government Organisations in Bihar:
Following museums are run by the Universities and Semi-Govt. Organisations.
This museum was started with the beginning of the teaching of Archaeology by the Department of Ancient Indian History & Archaeology, Patna university in the year 1960-61. The collection consists of different types of antiquities from Antichak, Oriup and Champa of the Bhagalpur district; Vaishali; Kumrahar of the Patna district and Chirand of the Saran district. Besides, there are coins of different periods and other miscellaneous antiquities and ceramic examples from other sites of the state and the country as well.
This museum was established in the Department of History, G.D. College, Begusarai by the authorities of the College in the year 1946. The antiquities and art-objects are displayed in showcases. The antiquities include stone and metal images belonging to the times of Guptas and Palas; terracotta figurines from Maurya to present times, beads of semi-precious stones, terracotta beads and sealings with inscription in Gupta and Pala script and a few miscellaneous finds and numerous ceramic specimens represented by the N.B.P. Ware and later examples up-to Pala times.
After Patna University, the P.G. Department of Ancient Indian & Asian Studies, (Magadh University) established a museum to collect and display the objects of Archaeological and historical importance and also to acquaint the students with the antiquities of the region. The P.G. Department Museum has specimens of different kinds of potteries, terracottas and coins in its possession . The museum is supposed to impart training in the theory and practice of museum methods.
The state Art Gallery was established in 1951 at the Patna College of Arts & crafts. The foundation stone of the Gallery was laid by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India. The collection of paintings of renaissance, post-renaissance and modern times and foreign specimens from Nepal, Tibet and Japan has been kept in the Art Gallery. The miniature paintings are executed on paper, mica and ivory, while the contemporary ones are respectively in opal, water and pastel colours. A few graphic pictures and two figures, one each of terracotta and bronze and some black and white photographs are also noteworthy in the collection.
This museum, established in the year 1963, consists of folk musical instruments, costumes and jewellery. Besides, the collection also includes terracottas and ceramic specimens dated between 500 B.C. and A.D. 500, and stone sculptures belonging to Gupta and Pala periods.
|Top of Page|